Sunday, August 05, 2007

Like Night....and Day!!!

Okay, Amethyst, you were 150% right about the quilting store!! Oh my goodness, I couldn't believe the difference!! I found one that was open yesterday and, even though it was on the other side of the city (only took me 13 minutes!!), it was worth the trip! The staff were so helpful and one lady took me and walked me through everything I needed (not to mention recommending a few things I didn't really need - LOL!), bringing me bolt after bolt of material that would work. Tan, I saw a lot of the rag quilts and, like you, fell in love with them! They might have to be my next project....

Then, as we were coming out of the parking lot, I saw "IT"! How can I have lived in Edmonton for 26 years and have never seen nor heard of this house!! Dad and I did a "drive by", lol, and I vowed that my next trip to the Quilting store would include my camera!! It was a castle, built on top of a garage!! As I was writing this blog, I googled it and, sure enough, there it was - listed under the "bestest" things to do/see in Edmonton! So, here's the photo and an explanation underneath! It's that fun, or what???

"Bestest proof a suburban home is a man’s castle

It’s not every day that you see turrets, cannons and a knight with sword and steel-plated armour in the suburbs, but that’s what can be
found topping a house in the Lendrum Place neighbourhood. The outstanding castle was built by dentist Ken Wallace, who bought the home and took over the existing basement dental business in the 1960s. The underground office meant that when his two daughters were born, he feared they had no place to play, so he built the castle as a playroom on top of the garage over the summer of 1980. Wallace collected the stain glass, furniture, and medieval artifacts at antique shows, and did the woodwork. The inside features a fireplace to heat the castle, a spiral staircase to a balcony overlooking the giant main room, and an observation glass pyramid on the ceiling. Wallace ended his practice 15 years ago, putting some old dental equipment out on the lawn as another standout ornament. When he moved to Arizona, he turned over the castle keys to his daughter Trish Clayton, whose children play in the big playhouse today. She said a number of people drive by to see the unique structure, including a few tour buses. "


My Dad would have loved it!!

3 comments:

Floyd said...

Hi sweetie. Ya it was a surprise to see yesterday and to think that I have gone down that road many times to go to Tim's house but mostly at night I guess.

Anonymous said...

Amiga vi la casa castillo muchas veces, por ahi pasamos al trabajo de danilo, especialmente por esa calle, y me parecio muy curioso, asi que supongo que fuiste al quilt shop del centro comercial que esta cercano, tome algunos curso alli ,la tienda es estupenda y el trato es bueno, un beso y sigue contandonos tus historias tu amiga Sulay. besos a Floyd que se recupere pronto.

Am said...

Glad you had a better experience at the quilt store...now you know why I prefer to shop there :) Quilting is just as addictive as scrapping, so watch out!!! hehehe