…okay. So, having finished Isabella’s blanket, today I thought I’d start on her quilt. I set off for a quick stop first at Michael’s and Walmart, and then to Fabricland, promising Floyd I’d only be about an hour. Well, I should have known the first two might have taken me a bit longer, LOL, as they are fun places to look at…. I’m blown away by the assortment of organic foods at Walmart – it’s crazy!
Anyway…on to Fabricland. It was a big store (new westend location), so I was excited! Surely I’d find what I was looking for here! Then, when looking at the pattern book, I saw that it recommends 100% cotton for quilts – don’t think I knew that before! So, I thought, okay, that’s going to narrow it down a bit. Ha ha. Boy, did it narrow it down!! But there was still a substantial amount of aisles to browse through and as, (a) I’d already been a bit longer than I’d planned, and (b) all the staff seemed to be just hanging around doing nothing, I thought I’d be able to get someone to help me! What a joke. First foolish question I asked was, “Hi, I’m making this quilt” (showing her the picture of it) “and wondered if maybe you could help me find something in these colors and patterns suitable for it”. Her reply, “Everything we have is on the shelves”. Riiiigghht. Did I ask that? Or did I ask if she was hiding two semi-loads of more material in the back? I mean – really! Did I look that stupid? To myself: “okay, guess she’s having a bad day, I’ll move over to another girl who appears to be doing nothing…” “Hi, I’ve found a couple of patterned pieces that I like here, but I need some plain ones to color-coordinate with them, do you know if you have any?” Waving her hand across the entire section, she said, “This is all we have”. Riiiigghht, again… I’m starting to get the picture now, so I moved over to where all the quilting material was (all under big signs “$14.99/mtr – 50% off with membership”). Realizing they had me over a barrel as far as membership was concerned, I kept looking. Nothing. Finally, I took my three choices to have them cut. She wrote down $16.99, so I said that, no, they were actually $2 less, pointing to the big signs. “No”, she said, “that’s only for the other brand prints”. At this point, my response was, “Why not?” Half said, under my breath… Sigh.
Anyway, I won’t bore you with the rest of the visit. Suffice to say it went rapidly down hill from there – the more things I asked for, the less help I got. And I was (really!) trying to be polite!! I wasn’t being obnoxious or anything – I just needed a little bit of help. And I sure didn’t get it. I won’t be going back to that store again, that’s for sure. Might have to drive to the other side of the city (or
Where’s the nearest Starbucks???
4 comments:
I think it is company policy for the workers at fabricland to give that answer! Unfortunately, you won't get much more help at the store here in Lethbridge. Now the quilting stores...that's a different story. They will spend hours with you to pick out just the right colors. It might just be worth the extra $$ to shop there. I am sure of it!
Hmmm...thanks, Am - I think you may be right! I think on Monday I'm gonna check and see what I can find here in the city... There must be some!
Sorry Wendy for the lack of help you got but it is Saturday and they were probably thinking of other things that customers eh? What they don't realize is a little help goes a long way in a store like that and they should try to be more helpful. Never saw you come home so stressed out. Even the dog was a bit scared . Haha
*nodding head in agreement with Am*
I think so too! Those Fabricland ladies are so unhelpful.
Post a Comment