...or not to try to get cancer. You'd think it was a simple decision, right? Think again. Are you prepared to give up some of your favorite habits, hobbies, and drugs? Sometimes it's a scary thing to be knowledgeable. And you wish you'd never found out - maybe that's what "they" are counting on...
So, here's what led me up to this topic. And it's an important one, so please stay with me. If you've known me for awhile, or have been reading my blog, you will know that I have, for the past 8 years had random angioedema (facial swelling) and hives/swelling in different areas of my body. It usually seems to happen when I'm tired, due to the fact that my immune system is down then and these reactions are definitely auto-immune related. Anyway, I've had every allergy test known to man and they've determined that my case is "idiopathic" meaning "no known cause". It's been extremely frustrating for me and I've had many a pity-party over it. Mostly it's just annoying. There are times when my inner air passages swell and those episode scare the heebie-jeebies out of me. About 3 years ago, an emergency doctor (I always went into emerg for these - to get epinephrine/benadryl shots) told me that I needed to be taking prednisone and it would help. Well, sure enough, it did enable me to get the swellings down, most times, within 5-6 hours rather than the usual 24 hours. But my doctor has been concerned with me taking the prednisone as it can contribute to osteoporosis (sigh). It also causes insomnia, which, in turn, lowers my immunity and causes the swelling!! Vicious circle that has been sooo frustrating for me. So, anyway, she sent me to a dermatologist for a second opinion at the beginning of December. He said he wanted me to try a drug that is used after people receive liver transplants as it boosts the immune system. He said it wouldn't stop the episodes but it may make them less frequent. Sounded good to me. So I started taking it the 3rd and went through 3 rotations at work (I usually get the swelling after my nightshifts) without a single episode!!! I cannot even start to tell you how wonderful I felt!! I was so excited and felt like a "normal" person! I could stay up late without worrying about the next day... Until. Sigh. I don't know why, but for some reason, I decided to go online and investigate the drug (Azathioprine) to see what side effects it may have (doctor didn't tell me anything). Come to find out....(drum roll)...it's on "the" list, as per the American Cancer Society, as a known carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) to humans. They group agents as either "known", "probable", "may be", or "not"...causes of cancer. If you've got the guts (and/or care about your health), it makes an interesting read. But be prepared: it may cause you to change your life. It did me. Once I found out, I quit taking the drug immediately. Sadly, but immediately. And guess what I woke up to this morning? There you go. But I can't knowingly take something that is proven to cause cancer unless it's a life or death situation. You ready? Known Carcinogens to Humans
Now...message to Jorge and Mandy - Dad and I were shocked to read "Hot Mate" on the list! Here's a link for that...(sorry). International Agency for Research on Cancer. But, having found it out, there's no way that I can't share it with you. Maybe once Jorge's in Canada, he'll find another hot comforting drink that will replace his mate....
I know that we'll never be fully free from these substances, but surely we can do what we can to deliberately avoid the ones that we have choices in...
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so sorry Mum...still praying about it!
Post a Comment