Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year 2008!

Now I'm hoping that everyone reading this had a relaxing quiet New Year's Eve... Do you want to hear how the other half lives? Oh my....what happens when alcohol and families get together...

The fun just never stopped - from 6:30 at night to 6:30 this morning...it was still going when our relief walked in the door... Stabbings, slashings, people who had had their hair set on fire, their fingers chopped off, their vehicles stolen, their friends assaulted, their drugs stolen, their houses shot at, their children jailed... Pursuits, thefts, break-ins, accidents, people running from accidents, bleeding from their heads, young kids standing in the highway covered in blood, people whispering to us, screaming at us, pleading with us, angry at us. Oh, and the compliments we received for our hard work: "Why the *%^$ are you asking me these questions?"; "What the @#&! good are you??"; "Thanks for nothing!"; "Go to &@#$"; "Don't &$#@ put me on hold again!!"..sigh. It was so encouraging....not. Then there's the ones who've been watching too much TV - "Can you come over and fingerprint this rock someone threw through my window?"; "My car got hit in Walmart parking lot and there's tire tracks in the snow - can you send someone over to takes prints of them?"- rrrriiiiight, wait while we get right on that.... And let's not mention the screaming person who is "somewhere out there" on a cell phone, says they're being murdered and "can't you use GPS to find me???!!!" Of course we can...because we're just that good. Wait while we pull out our crystal balls. What a sad, sad joke. The only good thing is the relationship we have with our incredible members out there in the field who can, in the midst of the utter craziness, say something that will bring a smile to our faces. It seriously never let up. It was the kind of a night where you felt so bad for taking your break because you knew how brutal it is to be short one person for an hour and a half...

But it's over now and I'm at home, trying to unwind my frayed nerves with some Sleepytime Tea...so I can get some sleep...and go back to it all again tonight...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry sweetie that your night was the pits. I know that you did the best for all those people and just maybe one of them will remember that. I just rigged the TV up so I can use the headphones and maybe you can get a good sleep. Love you.

Anonymous said...

And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I didn't get much sleep. Never mind the fact that my family is safe and I didn't have to use your services. I need that dose of reality - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Woahhh, sounds crazy, really , I hope you rest a lot at home and slept well...Good bless You, and Happy year too.

Anonymous said...

last comment was me sulayyyyyy take care...