Wednesday, October 04, 2006

To Check-Stop or Not to Check-Stop (a lesson in humility...)

Well, I worked an overtime shift today with the sole purpose of working a check stop that was being held in a certain area of the province. I came in and, due to shortage of operators (what else is new?), I was put where I was needed and not where I wanted to be. I was thoroughly miffed and made it known to my supervisor. It just ticked me off because I love working check-stops - you don't have to deal with the public and answer phones - just a whole shift of helping the members on the road - sweet! But, so far, it's never happened! Every time I get called in for it, I'm always shuffled somewhere else! So while I was having a royal pity party and yet at the same time feeling bad for my attitude, two things happened that made my day... First of all, Kristy wrote me an email (after I'd vented to her!) saying that maybe there were people in the towns where I was working that needed me more than the members where I'd planned to work. She brought my whole job and life back into focus and reminded me of why I was where I was. I'm not there to do what I want to do - I'm there to do what God wants me to do - how quickly I forget that. I have to remember that He orchestrates situations to work His purpose and will. The second thing was that my good buddy, Leigh, was working in Fort McMurray today (the area I was placed in) and we haven't talked for a long time. We had some good discussions and it really made my day. In fact, I would have come in without pay just to touch base with him again. So, those two things made my day and I ate humble pie and apologized to my supervisor. It wasn't really his fault that they were short and they did need me where they put me.

Apart from that, in case you didn't know, tomorrow is my birthday and I just got a really nice email from my son-in-law, Tom. I sure miss them and wish we were closer. Tom, thank you for your kind words - I'm so proud of you! I also got a card today from my Shy!!! Shyanne is my dear friend from work who has just recently taken a courageous and healthy step by leaving the RCMP. I miss her so much at work but we've promised to keep in touch. She sent me a card with a butterfly in it that scared me half to death (thanks, Shy!) and a gift card for a restaurant (yahoo!!). I love you, Shyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!

Another shocker today - I was talking with Mike (a co-worker more commonly known in the comm center as Mikey) and we often talk about our favorite movies or ones we've watched. Now you've gotta know Mikey to appreciate what I'm about to tell you. Mike was in the armed forces in posts all over the world where you wouldn't send your dog. He's extremely rough around the edges but has a sensitive heart somewhere deep inside (although he would never admit it!). He and I really clashed when I first started working there because outwardly (and maybe inwardly) we are complete opposites. He is a no-nonsense, blunt, in-your-face kind of guy whereas I would cheerfully rather die than have conflict with someone. I hated working with him and used to pray (literally!!) that I wouldn't have to! Well, again, God's ways are much wiser than ours and I have come to love working with Mike - in fact, I would almost choose him over anyone. But today, we were talking about stuff and the conversation got onto movies and he said that one of his favorites that he's watched over and over is.....(drum roll...)... "Ella Enchanted"!!!!! What the heck!?! At first I thought he was just pulling my leg (he likes to do that) but, no, he was serious! I told him I'd never really watched the whole movie, only the bit that Erilyn (my little granddaughter) imitates - where the star sings, "...somebody, somebody, somebody to love!!... That's all I know. Well, he went on and on about it and said he was seriously considering buying it someday. You know, you think you know people and are quick to judge them, but there are always surprises!

So, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, it was a good day! And thanks to Kristy, Leigh and Mikey - I'm glad I didn't work the check stop!

4 comments:

Floyd said...

Glad you had a good day after all. Kristy can do that to you. She has a way of encouraging people. Got to admitt she is kinda cute eh??

Anonymous said...

All its true!!!!!!!!the ways for the Lord are infinity.....happy day!!!!!!!!!!!.Sulay

Anonymous said...

Ah, I have finally found it!

My friend Wendy directed me to her blog over a week ago, but I haven't had the time to post my comments due to a busy work schedule.

Wendy and I have known each other for months, but have only met once in person. How does that work? Simple, actually. My mom told me, when I was growing up, that someone will always be keeping an eye on you and will know what you are doing even if you don't realise it or are aware of it. She was right.

Wendy is one of those people who are watching me. Not to catch me in the wrong (although she wonders how I can type and drive at the same time...) but to watch over me from afar. Although Wendy doesn't have a bird's eye view, she knows where I am at all times. Despite some stressful (and sometimes dangerous) situations, we share a laugh, compare interests in music and movies, family stories, and my dating woes! Believe me, it can get awfully lonely out there and then there is the voice of someone who does care, who checks in with you to make sure you're parts are intact. And at 0400hrs, when you're exhausted physically and mentally, that voice means the world to me. Even if it is Mikey's...!

I watch out over people, and hopefully they sleep better knowing that Fred, Doug and I are out there watching over them. And thank you to people like Wendy, Pauline, Mikey, John, Jo and Sean who watch over us.

Wendy said...

Hey, Leigh! Glad you found me on the web. Yeah, you bet I'm watching you - in more ways than one: don't forget the GPS in those cars... ha ha. I even see you when you're out on those "un-named roads"!! You shouldn't drive and type at the same time, but you know I'm always glad to hear from you - have you recovered from your day directing traffic? I hope you only had to do it the one day...
Talk to you soon - on the air!
Wendy