Sunday, July 29, 2007

Isagenix Update...

It's been more than a month since I started my Isagenix journey, so I thought I'd update - not only for those who may be interested but, more importantly, to keep myself accountable and on track...

I will start off by confessing that during the past ten days or so, I have consumed foods and drinks that I've known were not good for me and not on the Isagenix "plan". But, having said that, part of the daily "plan" is a wholesome meal of 400-600 calories and that is where I've stretched the calories a bit, or eaten foods that I really didn't want to get back into eating again.

The bottom line, you ask? After four weeks on the program, I've lost 11 lbs. That's not as much as others claim to have lost but I'm happy with it. I never set out for a quick weight-loss program, so 10 lbs a month is fine. Just think, if I continue at that rate, in six months, I'll have lost 60 lbs! Now
that would make me really happy!! LOL! But the main thing for me is the wonderful feeling of eating healthy and getting my energy back again! Before I started this, I was feeling so sluggish and my arthritis was brutal - as you know I was having mega-problems with my knee and hip. Mind you, along with Isagenix, I have also been taking steps towards general good health in keeping with the book "Seven Pillars of Health" by Dr. Colbert. For example:

- I've been drinking more (and better quality) water. I'm trying to average 80-100 ozs daily.

- Floyd and I have been buying organic foods whenever possible. It's been fun looking for them and we've been pleasantly surprised at the availability, affordable pricing, and assortment.

- the biggest step I've taken is the giving up of Splenda!! (Do I hear the cheers from Tanya and Tom?). Yup, never thought I'd do it, but I have! And I don't miss it a bit. If I need a bit of sugar in my coffee, I will add a teaspoon or two and feel no guilt at all. At least I'm not putting chemicals into my body.

- I have also cut back my coffee intake - down to about 2-3 cups per week! Also cut back on my Coke Zeros & Jazz Diet Pepsi's (I used to have 1-2 per day). Now I allow myself maybe 3 a week but I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable with even that many - because they have absolutely no nutritious value and also because of the extreme "sweetness" of them. I have decided that as soon as the pop in my fridge is gone (only have about 5 left) that I will not be buying any more.

- a long time ago, my doctor suggested that I always order my salad dressing "on the side" and, to myself, I said, "There's no way I'm ever going to do that!!" But I tried it once and discovered that you use so little dressing that way!! I was amazed. Now I've realized that I can actually forgo the dressing all together and really enjoy the different vegetable tastes. Throw in some barbecued chicken cut up and you have a delicious tasting meal!!!

- I have been cutting back on added salt on my foods. I'm trying to appreciate the taste of the food itself, without any added sauces, seasonings or toppings. I haven't found it as hard as I thought I would.

- I've been drinking more organic green tea (instead of other kinds) and am enjoying it immensely. And (here's my big story!!), I've started drinking a cup of Celestial Seasonings "Extra Wellness and Sleepytime Tea" before bed every night. I cannot even start to tell you how well I sleep now! It's incredible. My sleeping pills? In the garbage....

Okay, now that I've told you the positive things I've been doing, here comes my confession... (You knew there had to be one, didn't you?) I have not been exercising as I should. Part of the Isagenix plan is 20 minutes per day and, while I have been taking opportunities daily to exercise (parking further away, taking stairs, etc...), I have not been faithful in walking for 20-30 minutes 5 days per week (my original goal). Just before Floyd got called in for surgery, we'd made an agreement to do it together and hold each other accountable, but, yeah, that went up in smoke - LOL. For now, anyway... Soon, when he's up to it, we'll resume the commitment. Meanwhile, I need to get off my duff and do it myself. I know that will make a big difference in my weight loss.... (Maybe Kristy will do it with me now that she's going to be living with me!!)

But, on a whole, my mental clarity, energy level, and overall health, have really increased since I've been on the program. I've come to absolutely LOVE the shakes - especially with a bit of fresh fruit thrown in. I look forward to my cleansing days because I know how good it is for me and I sure feel better after them....

That's all for now!!!

3 comments:

Floyd said...

Your doing well sweetie. You look good and seem to full of energy. Good thing I guess one of us if full of energy. Thanks for all the things your doing for me. I love you so much. I pray that every one who get sick has someone like you to look after them. You are such a blessing.
Floyd

Tom said...

Yeah it is so good to get the chemicals out of the way. I know with the pop it has been huge. Who wants wood alcohol in the stomach anyway. Good thing we don't smoke...lol. Proud of you on keeping up on the changes. We are finding that it is fun as well and we feel better overall! Love ya!!

Buffy Close said...

Two things: A) Congrats on the weight loss! I struggle with my weight and applaud anybody willing to make lifestyle changes to better their health!
B) I am glad to hear that the surgery went well for Floyd! I thought about him a lot while on my trip to Vancouver and I hope he is healing well!