Friday, June 01, 2007

An Adage Proved True!!

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks" - Well, today I proved it to be true!! Our old dog (Madison) showed me the meaning of the saying....

Three days ago I moved her food and water from behind the kitchen door (awkward place) to (what I believed to be)
an easier place for her to access - top of the stairs. For those of you who don't know, this is where the cat food used to be, back when we had two cats. But I suddenly realized the other day that now the cats are gone (God rest their little souls), this would be an ideal spot for Maddie's food seeing as she's always waiting for us to close the door so she can get to it where it is now....

Well, that was three days ago. This morning, Floyd told me that she hasn't eaten since I'd moved it. I was like, "no way...". I decided that we would see who could be more stubborn and that it would be her that would cave before I would. Well, it wasn't. I had compassion on her and, about five minutes ago, I moved it back and, sure enough, she started to eat as if she was starved (which she probably was!!). What a dumb dog!!!! At least that's what I thought until I began to realize that for the first 10 years of her life, she was reprimanded and told *not* to eat the food that was there (because it was the cats'). LOL. So, I guess she figured she wasn't to eat anything that was put there. Good ole' Madison - not as dumb as she looks, is she???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMBO That is hillarious!! I would have never even thought of the fact that for ten years she was yelled at when she would eat food from that spot! Too Funny, poor Mad, she probably thought she was losing it, maybe she thought you were testing her faithfulness, haha.
Love you Mum!
Mandy

Anonymous said...

P.S. I sure do miss my Kitties though....Snif Good ol Muff and Wit, the best cats in the whole world!
Mandy

Wendy said...

Yeah, I miss them as well - I swear I still hear them downstairs sometimes...

Talk about obedience training, eh? Madison, like you said, must have thought it was a test...poor thing...

Love you, too!

Floyd said...

one thing for sure is when you teach her something she learns it well. It's funny but she must of thought that if she ate it we would yell at her. I think she was just being Madison. Glad to see she is eating.

Tanya said...

Awwww!! Poor Maddie! ROFL Feed that puppy!