...that's what the doctor gave me today! Question 1: "How old are you?" Question 2: "Did you play sports as a teen?" and the sentence (in both meanings: as a statement and as a pronouncement - LOL): "You have moderate to severe arthritis in your right hip". Oh. Riiiight. But I should fill you in on what led up to this visit...
Last week I was going down the stairs at work and when I got to the last step (thank you, Lord!), I found myself in a face-plant position on the floor! "Well," I thought to myself, "that was kind of interesting!" No pain, no build-up, no warning, just face-plant! Then the next day, I was going down the stairs at home and half way down, same thing, but this time I was able to lean against the wall to steady myself so I didn't fall. By now I'm thinkin', "This can't be good....in fact, this could be downright hazardous to my health!!" LOL. You think?? Now a strange sense of denial came over me when this happened - maybe it's similar to what people do when they have chest pains and don't tell anyone. You think it can't be happening to you. But it was. The strange thing is that, while my hip has been aching, and I knew there must be some arthritis in it, I have no discomfort walking or going up stairs. So, anyway...a date with the surgeon is on the horizon for me (probably a couple of months) but my doctor said they probably won't do a replacement because I'm too young (nice to still be able to say I'm too young for something - LOL!!). Replacements only usually last 10-15 years, so they like to wait until you're older to do them.
Meanwhile, Floyd's forcing me into an alcoholic lifestyle because he read that alcohol reduces the risk of arthritis! So, bottom's up, everyone! Mogen David and Late Harvest are soon to be regular items on my daily ration - too heck with food!
Oh, and a thought for those of you with children still at home: you might want to consider their future before you get them too involved in sports as teens! Doctor said my hip was a classic example of someone who'd been active as a teen....hmmmm......
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sorry about your hip. But you must admitt that it has been giving trouble for the last little while.Glad you went to the doctors. And I am not forcing you to be and alcoholic. I just read that Wine helps to prevent and also helps with arthritis. Now we can have a glass or 2 or 3 or4 or 5 together. My my I am starting to feel better already. Ha ha ha ha. I only drink one glass a day and not a very big one.
Yikes Mum! Thanks for telling us now. (rolls eyes) I am sorry you have to deal with that though...not fun. Did he give you anything to help with it for now?
WOW Mum....you fell on your face and you didnt even tell us?!?! Ok, I must admit I giggled when I read it,(only because of the way you described your reaction! lol "Oh, that was interesting!"), but geezz...that's kinda scary. I'm just glad that you are okay and like Dad, I'm glad you went to the doctor about it. Keep us updated okay?? And maybe you should avoid the stairs for a while, lol, no seriously! I love you!
Mandy
Post a Comment