Here's something that has helped me a lot over the past year. I found it in a "Stories for the Heart" book and it was written by Portia Nelson. It may not make sense at all and so may make you question your sanity (or mine!) because it doesn't mean anything to you. But that's okay, it just means that there haven't been issues in your life that have caused your autobiography to resemble this:
An Autobiography in Five Short Paragraphs by Portia Nelson
1) I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost. I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.
2) I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in. I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.
3) I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.
4) I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.
5) I walk down a different street.
So, what do you think? You may have to mull over it for awhile and if it still is meaningless to you - that's great! It can only be a good sign. For the record (and in case you were wondering...) most days I am #4 but I do still have my #3 days. Unfortunately, #5 is often not an option....
Also, you may also wonder how this can apply to me as a Christian. I can only say that the Lord has been with me throughout my life, guiding me, protecting me and leading me but that doesn't mean that I have always been obedient and watchful of His ways. I also believe He has allowed "deep holes in the sidewalk" as places of growth for me. I'm still learning, Lord - but I'm becoming more attentive to the traps the enemy is setting for me.
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmm...that is something to mull over. Not sure what I think of it. LOL
(PS-I love you!)
Post a Comment