Monday, September 25, 2006

Do you really think it's yours?

I've had a lot of thoughts lately on belongings and "stuff". My basic convictions are that we just have too much of it - sometimes years go and we don't even look at it, let alone use it. Soooo...I'm cleaning out our house. Much to the upcoming horror of my grandchildren (once they find out!), I have already done the "toy" closet downstairs and my plans are to do a lot more in the next few weeks. Boy, does it feel good - no more moving stuff around to make room for more stuff! Also, today in church, the pastor was talking about how we hang on to possessions - thinking they are ours and belong to us (natural to think). He was saying that if we think our material possessions (houses, cars, etc.) belong to us and we tend to cling to them, we should just ask ourselves this question, "Who will this belong to one hundred years from now?". Wow, that really hit me - I think my house and my back yard are mine but years from now someone else will be sitting in it, calling it their own! It made me realize that everything we have now is really just a gift, a loan to us for the short time we are here on this earth.... So, now, if our car gets dinged in the parking lot, we can just say, "Hey, Lord, somebody just hit your car!". Kind of freeing, I think? What do you think?

1 comment:

Tanya said...

WOOHOO!!! Join the party - it's SO freeing! Tom and I have been doing this too and it's such a different mindframe, but boy do I like it!
I never thought I could have so much joy in "getting rid" of stuff! LOL
Mum, I'm sure the girls won't even notice the lack of toys - they are hardly in that closet anyways.