Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Warning labels and things that make me happy…

Okay. So there’s this kind-of-a pet peeve that I have. And it’s almost turning into an obsession! Really. It’s the little white cloth/plastic/unknown substance labels that you find on virtually everything you buy. For some reason (probably because we’re such an obedient, albeit, programmed society) we, or at least I, (and I don’t think I’m alone), leave them on for an eternity…or at least the life of the object. Even when it has been washed to oblivion and there is no more print to be viewed, there they are, waving away and just plain looking sloppy. Some of them read “to be removed by purchaser only” or some such nonsense, but people, this means we can remove it once we bring it into our house! Read it and cut. And we won’t be struck down, nor will the material fall apart instantly (okay, sometimes you do have to cut and not rip it off). When I moved was when I really became aware of it – everywhere I looked, even on objects that I was throwing out…there they were. And I thought, “Why on earth didn’t I remove that eyesore years ago?” Some have, or had, washing instructions on them. I’ve been washing it for years…do I really need to reread it? Have I ever read it? Anyway…to shorten this up…I’ve been randomly ripping them off whenever I’ve seen them, so look out! I even found them on electrical cords, blaring “Electrical Shock Hazard!” – really? Sigh. Anyway, that’s my pet peeve for the day/week/month/year and that’s how I’m resolving it. So, if you don’t want your labels removed, hide them from me!

Next, there are moments that make me happy. Simple things. Things that probably others wouldn’t even notice but I do and, if I was a cat, I would purr. Ha ha. One of these “moments” happened to me today. I got up and, having finally finished painting our bedroom, went outside to the garden. This is day two of sunlight after about a week of rain, so I wanted to see what new plants had come up and/or had blossomed. I have many that are unknown to me, so I’m watching them to see if they are going to bloom and look more like flowers than weeds. Anyway, I was weeding away and I stood up and just looked around and listened. All I heard was a symphony of birds in the trees. All I smelled was the musty smells of the forest floor and the wet grass after the rain. All I saw was the sunlight dappling through the trees. And it made me happy. And content. Simple things but there you go. In my Edmonton yard (somehow it never became a “garden”), most of the flower beds were in direct sunlight. Whereas now, my garden (it always was – especially the first two sections) is pretty much in partial shade all day long because of the huge trees that fill our yard. And I really like that. I love gardening in the shade and think that I will love it even more come the hot days they are predicting for our area. I need to buy more shade-loving plants, especially some Bleeding Hearts and Hostas to fill in blank spots under the trees. So, that was my “happy place” for today and I think it will be for many more days and, God willing, years…

No comments: