Sunday, May 18, 2008

Please tell me it's not a....

...weed! (but I'm thinking it is....) I have this wonderfully prolific plant all over my back yard - in particular in my rock garden and amongst the Snow On The Moutain ground cover under the lilacs. It seems to grow in clusters which is lulling me into a possibly false sense of security that it might be a flower... On the other hand, it's hardy and rapid growth leads me to believe it must be a weed. Time will tell. I think I'll give it another week and will do some looking in my Perennial book by Lois Hole to see what I come up with. Literally.

I'm so excited about my garden. I loved my one in Edmonton as well, but this one is so much more mature and has an exciting assortment of perennials - many of which I've never grown and am not familiar with. Then there's the good old Snow On The Mountain, Irises, Delphiniums, and Hollyhocks - all of which were abundant in my last garden. We have bird's nests in our trees from last year and are hoping they will return to our branches this year as well. Yesterday was my first real day out there and most of that was spent raking dead leaves and branches out of the flower beds. I also bought a few baskets, some petunias and strawberry plants for our back garden. Floyd has purchased packets of seeds and we just need to get them in the ground soon. As I mentioned last night, our rhubarb is already up and ready to eat and I'm hoping to make and freeze some more rhubarb crumbles for when Bryan and Sally come up.

Also, when I left Edmonton, my friends (and gardening enthusiasts), Judy and Gwen, gave me $100 to be used to buy something "special" for my garden. And yesterday I spent half of that! I was excited to see a garden cart on sale at the local Home Hardware and, even though I have never thought it to be something I needed, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how wonderful it would be. Especially in a yard the size of my current one. On it I can carry all my tools, gloves, sprays, etc., and it has a holder for large garbage bags on the end. There might even be a pocket for my camera. How handy! When I was out there yesterday (without it), I was constantly walking around looking for tools that I had put down somewhere...so I really think I'll enjoy having it. The only drawback was that it wouldn't fit in my car (it was the last one and all put together), so now it will have to wait until Tuesday for pick up. But I'm working days today and Monday anyway, so I wouldn't have much opportunity to use it.

I'll take some photos soon of the garden and put them in My Photos for anyone who's interested. I really want to take some "before and after" shots anyway just for myself...

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I want to see pics of your garden...but luckily for me, I am going to be there in 2 days so I will see it then!

Love you!