Wednesday, May 09, 2007

One visit down....??? to go....

Day one at the Cross Cancer Clinic. I can't really say how we did but I think it was okay. We came in the back way (parked in an underground parkade), so that kinda made it different for me than entering in the front as I did so many times with Mum. But I'd be lying if I said it was easy. It was okay but not easy. For either of us. The staff and volunteers were wonderful - they are an incredible group of people who work/volunteer there. We had, first of all, to register, then to wait in the foyer for about 20 minutes until everyone new was there and then we went upstairs to an auditorium for an hour-long slide presentation/talk. There were two volunteers doing this and they were wonderful - very compassionate and understanding of the spinning going on in your head. Both were cancer survivors and the man, during one of his talks, said the only way he got through it was with the help and support of his Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. That was great and we talked to him afterwards to thank him for his outspoken proclamation of faith. After, he gave us a quick tour of the facilities and, as we walked, my mind kept going back ten years...."I remember going there with Mum...I remember we used to have coffee there after her treatment...I remember sitting beside her in that room as she had her chemo...etc., etc." There were times I wanted to make a bolt for the door and deny that this was all happening again. But I know this is different. Same place, different circumstances. We have so much hope in Floyd's situation. We know this to be in very early stages and so, so curable. Thank you, Lord. We've got to keep remembering that...at least, I have to. As hard as it was for me, it had to have been a billion times harder for Floyd. He hasn't walked this path before and it's him that it's happening to. We also learned today that a board of doctors (apparently) has already viewed his case and has decided the best course of action (according to the hospital) for him. When we meet with the oncologist tomorrow, he should just be telling us what that treatment plan includes, rather than (we thought) just discussing the options. Maybe that's better as it takes it completely out of our hands. We should be able to find out why they recommend the treatment decided on as well....

After there, whether it was comfort therapy or not, I took Floyd to lunch. We had, first of all, to go to Mother's Music downtown to get something for Tom, then we gassed up the car and I took Floyd to the restaurant of his choice...you guessed it! - Red Lobster. He heard some shrimp calling his name. We'd forgotten how yummy those cheese buns are as well! I passed on the things that crawl on the bottom of the ocean (you know me!) and opted, instead, for chicken and spinach in alfredo sauce. It was good.

From there, we drove around looking for the Callingwood Baskin Robbins to get some World Class Chocolate ice cream for Tanya but couldn't find it. It would seem that they must have closed. By then the couch was calling our names, so we headed home. I took out my knitting - working on a secret project right now - a type of advanced knitting that I've never done before!! I'm usually a crocheter but now I've got into knitting slippers and dishcloths, I've decided to try a more advanced project. I don't want to say what it is because I might not finish it - LOL!! Floyd drifted off into the land of Nod while I knitted (no, I am not becoming like Emma, Kristy!!) and then I made broccoli cheese soup for supper. After that, Floyd's men began to arrive for their Bible study, so I made a quick trip to the mall to pick up the ice cream to take to Tanya tomorrow. Oh, first, I went out in the backyard and tried out some close-up lenses that I got...I was going to post one here of our Nanking Cherry bush but I tried twice and it didn't work, so you'll to go to my photobucket if you're interested (link on left). That's it for tonight - I got Mandy and Jorge's newsletter today and it was good to hear their news....

5 comments:

Erin said...

Wendy,
Thanks for sharing this. I know how tough this must be for you.

Please know that you've blessed me today by sharing this. A few years after my mom passed away from cancer, I had a dear friend sent to the very same hospital in Calgary where Mom spent the last few weeks of her life and I drove up to see her... but I couldn't do it. I couldn't get out of the car in the parking lot. I ended up turning around and going back home. I wasn't ready to re-live those memories (similar to ones you've shared). I'm sorry that you're going through this.

Praying for you and Floyd!
Hugs,
Erin

Wendy said...

Wow. Thanks, Erin. I'm sorry about your Mom - I don't think I knew that. If I had been in your shoes, when visiting your friend, I would have done the exact same thing. Only Floyd (or another one of my family, I guess) could have gotten me through those doors again.

Thanks for your prayers, Erin.

Anonymous said...

Amiga que dia !!debiste sentirlo largooo, pero finalmente dieron un paso hacia delante,mi papa tambien tuvo cancer como floyd pero avanzado, tuvo radioterapia y cirugia, ya han pasado 10 anos de eso y esta gracias a Dios juntos nosotros, es un proceso dificil para Floyd con mucho miedo, menos mal que ustedes tienen a Jesus de su lado, primero porque son personas buenas y maravillosas, asi que todo lo que pidan se les dara. Se que tu tambien estas nerviosa, lo mejor es tejer eso relaja muchisimo y ayuda a relajar el stress quiero que recuerdes que te quiero y estoy contigo aunque sea de lejos tambien estoy pendiente de la salud de Mandy. Dios los bendiga y estaremos orando por ustedes Sulay.

Mommy said...

I just read on Tanya's blog what was going on with you and Floyd, which brought me over here. I'm so sorry that your going through this. No matter what the circumstance or situation is, it's still a scary thing to go through. The word itself has such a stigma about it. Cancer had never touched my family until my grandmother. She raised me for over half my life so she is just so special to me. I'm happy to say that she's finished her treatments, 2 surgeries and right now is cancer free. I will be thinking of you both and praying for you!!! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I remember too Mum, I can only imagine how hard it was t go back there.....I dont even like to look at it when we have to drive by it.

Im glad Dad's ok, and I think it means so much to him to have you by his side and spending more time with him.

We love you both.

Mandy and Jorge