Yummy bread, overcast sky & popcorn!
Floyd and I had a busy day today. I awoke to say bye to Kristy and Bob as they headed off to an appointment in Red Deer, then got dressed and started making a list (and, yes, yes, I *did* check it twice!)... I have a lot I want to accomplish today and now (2:30) I've almost finished it all! Armed with the list and a few return items, Floyd and I hopped in the car around 9 and, first of all, went to Walmart. I admittedly still like to linger in their Organics aisles and see what's new but I tried to limit that impulse today... I did, however, come home with a new popcorn popper (yes, Bob, it was that one! LOL!). Last time we were in Walmart (about a week ago), I just glanced at it as we walked by and Bob (who seems to annoyingly read my mind at times - maybe cause we're both impulsive shoppers) said to me, "Go ahead, Mum, you know you want it!" LOL! And, yes, I did, but I knew I had a perfectly good one at home. Riiiiight.... When I got home, I remembered that we'd given that one to Tan and Tom awhile ago because we never used it (always made microwave).... Sigh... And just two days ago, Floyd and I cleaned out our cupboard, throwing away all our microwave popcorn!! LOL! If you've been watching the news, you'll know why.... I'd rather do it the old-fashioned way and save my lungs... So! That brings me back to today. I settled on one of the only two models they sold, even though it was expensive ($36.95).
It's really fun to watch (even Madison had to come and look!!), and it had Floyd hysterical. Okay, but there's a little bit more to the story... You knew there had to be. It can make up to 6 qts and so, when I was trying it out, I decided to do the maximum - why not? It has a little stir-wand that goes round the base and the plastic top (bowl when inverted) just sits on top while it pops. So, we were merrily watching it when it filled and kept popping! First of all the plastic dome starts to rise, then rotate as well!! LMBO!! Then, popcorn starts coming out between the two - just like in the movie theaters! Except it's not supposed to do it at home. I had to wait till it stopped popping then inverted it and was prepared for the worst (burnt). But it was perfect! Mind you, I was using Orville Redenbaucher's so it usually pops much better than cheaper brands. Tan, I'll have to bring this down so your kids can watch it - they'll get a kick out of it... Oh! I forgot the best part!! Going through the cashier, it rang in at $16.95!! Even better yet!! It sells for $40 on Amazon, so if you want it, now's the time to get it at Walmart. Just don't maximize the amount of popcorn you put in it....LOL....
We also stopped at a new bakery I've had recommended to me by lots of people - it's Cobs Bread (click to check it out). I was really impressed with their dedication to whole-grain breads (although they do have the white stuff as well) and the absence of additives, preservatives, dairy & sugar! If I didn't make my own bread, for sure this is where I'd be buying it! We had some yummy tasters and Floyd bought a Cheese & Tomato Twisted Delight that was still warm and I bought a couple of loaves of a Apricot Delight Log (no added sugar) that I'm hoping Tanya's family will like! If not, I guess they'll come back home with me...
Well, that brings you up to date. Oh, wait, forgot to mention one more thing... Why is it that one always has the urge to make caramel popcorn on an overcast day!!?? I remember making it when the girls were young and it was like a comfort food on the days when they couldn't go out and play. But I began to notice that some of my batches weren't working out! No matter what I did, some were perfect and some were sugary and gross. One day, in frustration, I phoned the Blue Flame Kitchen (do they still have that??) and the lady asked me what kind of day I was cooking it on. For a few minutes I thought she was losing it, but then she went on to tell me that one should never make candies or toffees on an overcast day! Did you know that?? And you know what? She's 100% right. Since then I've never had a bad batch! I was a bit concerned about today 'cause while I was out, it was cold, cloudy and drizzling, and I was thinking, "greeeeaatttt..." But, by the time I got home and ready to go, the sun was out and I was "good to go"! I think it turned out perfect! What do you think? 




2 comments:
mmmm...that looks so yummy! wanna share?
Wendy, your caramel corn looks delicious! Guess what? I've never made it! Interesting that you found out about Cob's Bread. That's the company that called me at Tim Horton's and wanted me to work for them. Their breads do seem good, although I don't think I realized there are no additives, etc. Good to know!
Post a Comment