I don't know if you've ever noticed it or not, but I have lately... I've been buying the Weight Watcher's magazines and have been reading the success stories that are featured in them (can be found in other mags as well, in case you don't read that particular one - LOL), and my eye has been drawn to the one factor that all these inspiring stories have in common. An asterisk. Yes, somewhere in their story, you will always see a little *. So, naturally you have to find out what it's for and there it is....way, way down (in tiny, tiny print) at the end...a little comment: "*results not typical." First of all, I was kind of depressed by the whole thought because, obviously, if their results aren't "typical", that means the majority of people that set out on the journey do not achieve the goal. How depressing and sad. But gradually, I began to look for, and enjoy reading, that little comment because my attitude changed and I started looking forward to the fact that, one day, I would be one of the "chosen few" who have an asterisk (whether real or imaginary) by their life stories. So now I'm using that statement as my goal - instead of letting it become a deterrent to me...
However, (in case you wonder why on earth I'd be sharing this...hang with me...) more recently, as I've thought about this whole thing, the Lord has brought a challenge to my heart and mind to have the * beside my name in His book - or at least figuratively there. If non-Christians had access to a magazine that they could read - one that gave testimonies of great Christians of the faith, would there be little stars by their stories..."*results not typical". Is that how they see me? Am I a "typical" Christian in their eyes - one who claims to be a follower but whose life portrays a double standard? Or am I one for whom they have made a mental asterisk when they hear my name or see my life - "Wendy*- *results not typical"?
And so, my physical goal has extended into my spiritual journey (which is always a good thing...) and I strive now, every day, to be the "not typical" example of a follower of Christ... I want my life to be sold out, 100%, nothing-held-back...all for the glory of God - no matter what....and then I know that my story will be marked with an *.
*results not typical
Monday, January 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment