Friday, April 13, 2007

What a "Pit-y"

Okay...Erin started me on this when she mentioned on the Photoblog Challenges (see link on left if you're curious) that she'd bought a PIT game at an antique store! I was surprised by the thought that it was an antique and yet a game that I've played so much of with my siblings and friends, and even with my girls, when they were younger. I know, I know...this is all leading up to the fact that I'm not getting any younger, and may, in fact, actually be getting older, but that's besides the point....(I think)

I decided that PIT would, indeed, be a game that my grandkids would enjoy (though it might force Tom out of the general vicinity for awhile), if Erin hasn't already introduced them to it. Soooo...I thought to go to Walmart and pick one up. I'd already searched downstairs for ours and couldn't find it - I think it's out at the lake. I hope I haven't misplaced it because, after all, I do collect antiques! Well, I soon found out that this once-common, but now-rare, game could only be found at an official game store (if you don't have an antique store handy), and....you guessed it...they've changed all the cards!!!! ARRGHHH!! Why can't they leave well-enough alone! On one hand, the front of the box blazes how the game has been a best-seller since 1904 (yes, that is old!!) and yet, on the other hand, they proceed to change that which has been so successful for 103 years! 103 YEARS!!! I'm sorry to say that you can no longer corner the market on Rye, Wheat or Barley - no, you now have to invest in such items as Cocoa, Oil and Gold. What the heck!!?? And they all have color pictures on them! I was relieved to see that the Bull and Bear are still the same, (thought they might have been replaced by some endangered species or something) - although now in technicolor!

So, Tan and Tom, look out...Pit is coming to a neighborhood near you tomorrow...no, today! Wanna play?? "Two, two, two, two, three, three, three, three..." Ha ha. I can hear my Mum's voice now....funny, though, I can't seem to remember my Dad ever playing...LOL...

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Wendy! I am so glad you found Pit for the girls! I actually bought another set today at the antique auction for $2! I was so excited! I can't wait to play with Adrie and Eri! Glad you are having such a great time here with the grandbabies!

Wendy said...

No way, Erin! You found another set? Well, I'm hoping my original's out at the lake, otherwise I'm gonna be on the hunt for the old set. But until then, this new one works. Have fun playing with them - I'm sure they'll pull it out next time you're over!